Who in their right mind wants to constantly read crap like this every morning? These are the headlines on CNN’s home page today:
- Snow threatens flooded Red River Valley
- World leaders meet to talk about economy crisis
- Ticker: Mrs. Obama heads to Europe
- Cafferty: War on drugs is insane
- CNNMoney: Air travel expected to fall 7.8 percent
- Hospital: Octuplet mom’s file accessed, 15 fired
- Boy went on bike for bubble gum, met a killer
- Pistachios possibly tainted with salmonella
- Hundreds feared dead off coast of Libya
- Is Twitter getting too big, too fast?
- Alleged torturer accused in 15,000 deaths
- Girl, 8, goes outside to play, vanishes
- How will April Fool’s worm impact you?
- Martin: Why aren’t stars adopting U.S. kids?
- 12-foot python puts squeeze on reporter
- Baby alligator wanders into house, bites guy
- Racy pix are teens’ right, ACLU argues
- CNN Wire: Angry workers hold Caterpillar…
So, what earthly good does any of this news do for you and me? For one, it makes me angry that this hogwash is even being “reported,” because not a one of these pseudo-events will be changed by my attitude about it nor are they necessary to know. In fact, if all the news magazines, newspapers, and television news went away and we heard about none of what’s supposed to pass for news in this country, nothing would be changed in this world, except perhaps we would all get our good sense back and we would all go about living our lives locally instead of vicariously elsewhere. And people are alarmed because newspapers are failing? Gee, I wonder why?